Most Popular Posts
- Best Mountain Bike Helmets for Hot Weather
- Best Bicycle Helmets for Large Heads
- Best Women’s Bike Helmets
- Best Cycling Helmets for Ponytails
- Do I Need a Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet?
More and more of us are interested in living a healthy and active lifestyle these days. Since lifestyle diseases are so common, lots of people are realizing the importance of exercise. Hence, the fascination and interest towards getting fit and taking up cycling as a hobby and as a sport have also increased.
However, riding a bicycle entails some safety hazards. Unlike in a car where the driver is protected by the vehicle, the cyclist merely relies on balance in order to avoid accidents and injuries. Thus, the importance of using safety tools, gadgets and equipment while biking can’t be overestimated. One of the most important, if not the most important, safety tool for biking is the bike helmet.
Mountain Bike Helmets
The mountain bike helmet was primarily created to protect cyclists’ heads in case of collisions and falls. It acts to reduce the force of the impact to the head and minimize the side effects of such an impact.
There are many types of mountain bike helmet and getting the best mountain bike helmet could mean the difference between being injured or being unscathed, or between life and death. Hence, when buying a mountain bike helmet it is practical and important to go for the best.
Best Mountain Bike Helmet
If you're looking for a balance between comfort, design, safety and price, the Airflow Bike Helmet is your best option.
Types of Mountain Bike Helmets
In finding the best bike helmet, one should first understand the different types of mountain bike helmet. The reason for this is that understanding the different types will give you an idea of which to type to use for a certain trail.
The best bike helmet is one that serves the purpose you are using it for well. The best bike helmet will depend on the use of the helmet and the terrain type where you are cycling.
There are many types of mountain bike helmet in the market now but there are four main types to choose from:
Half Face Mountain Bike Helmet
This type of helmet is also known to have other names such as XC, shell (open) and trail mountain bike helmet. For road biking, less aggressive trail and country riding, this is the type of mountain bike helmet to go for.
A half-face mountain bike helmet is known to have more protection found at the back. This additional protection found at the back of the helmet is important especially when the biker falls backward. This type of helmet also has visors to protect the eyes of the biker. Finally, the exterior of this type of helmet is usually tough.
Full Face Enduro Mountain Bike Helmet
The full-face helmet is also known as the downhill mountain helmet. This type of helmet is the total opposite of the half-face helmet. Whereas the half-face helmet covers the top of the biker’s head, a full-face helmet covers the entire head of the biker as well as his face and his chin. When one is looking for full protection, this is the type to go for.
However, one of the problems with the full-face helmet is the ventilation. The more protected the helmet is, the fewer air vents it has. With just a few vents to work with, the air cannot freely flow from the visor to the back of the helmet. As a result, moisture and heat can accumulate. Having to ride in the middle of the day with the sun shining down can be a very hot and uncomfortable experience. Nevertheless, for rough biking and aggressive terrain, this is the helmet type to have because of the additional protection it gives.
Open Face Enduro Mountain Bike Helmet
This type of helmet is designed for rough terrain and aggressive biking so it comes heavy and protected. It does not come with a visor though, which is why it’s called an “open face” helmet.
One of the nice features of this type is that it has good retention systems so it is stable and stays in place even when used on rough terrain. As a result, the biker is less likely to be distracted by the movable helmet. Like the full-face helmet, this one has minimal air circulation because of the lack of vents brought about by its protective features.
All Around Mountain Bike Helmet
The last type of helmet is known by its other name, Combat Style Mountain Bike Helmet. This type is flashy and stylish and is mainly used for road biking. It is usually composed of round half domes as well as chin straps.
Other Features to Look
- Price – It doesn’t necessarily follow that the best bike helmet is the most expensive one, as the purpose and the use of the helmet are large factors in determining which is the best. However, as a general rule, expensive bike helmets are generally of superior quality than cheaper ones. It’s a good idea to compare the prices of the different bike helmets you are interested in.
- Adjustable – The best bike helmet should also be comfortable to use. If a mountain bike helmet fits well, it will be more comfortable. You won’t need to hold the helmet in place or be distracted whenever the helmet moves and leans to one side. One way of getting a perfect fit helmet is to choose a helmet that has an adjustable strap. The best design is when there are straps that allow vertical and horizontal adjustments. There are also strap designs that allow for the inclusion of ponytail. Whichever it is, it’s always a plus point if the helmet can be adjusted to get a perfect fit.
- Ventilation – When air is allowed to circulate within the helmet, it will be more comfortable to wear, so you should look for a mountain bike helmet that offers good ventilation. As a rule of thumb, the more vents the bike helmet has, the more ventilated it is. Take note, however, that full-face and other heavily protected bike helmets are less likely to be ventilated.
- Lightweight – Because the bike helmet is usually used for a long time, light helmets are more comfortable to wear. A light helmet will prevent straining on the neck and the head. One thing to note is the more vents the helmet has, the lighter it will feel when biking.
- Durability – It’s a good idea to choose a durable bike helmet. Aside from the fact that it will last longer and won’t need to be replaced so soon, it will also be safer. There are many ways to check whether a bike helmet is durable. One way is by looking at its construction and the materials used in making the helmet. It is smart to buy a bike helmet that has complied with the standard quality requirements such as those set by agencies as the CSCP.
- Warranties – Buying a bike helmet that also offers a warranty is always a plus because the buyer is protected from hidden and undetected manufacturer defects that are not obvious to the natural eye at the first glance. That way you are guaranteed to get a quality mountain bike helmet or your money back.
|Giro Feature Cycling Helmet||$$||4.5/5|
|Fox Metah Helmet||$$$||4.1/5|
|Bell Super 2 Bike Helmet||$$||4.6/5|
|Demon Podium Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet||$$$||4.6/5|
|Airflow Bike Helmet with Detachable Visor||$$||4.8/5|
|Smith Forefront Helmet||$$||4.4/5|
|EASECAMP Ultralight Bicycle Helmet||$||4.7/5|
|GoMax Aero Adult Safety Helmet||$||4.6/5|
|Leadtry HM-1 Bicycle Helmet Ultralight Integrally Molded EPS Bike Helmet||$||4.5/5|
|SUNVP Lightweight Sport Bicycle Helmet||$||4.4/5|
Top 5 Products to Choose From
With the many mountain bike helmet brands available in the market these days, looking for the best mountain bike helmet can be quite a challenge. To jumpstart your search and to help you, here are product reviews of five mountain bike helmet brands that are all bestsellers.
Giro Feature Mountain Bike Helmet
The Giro Feature Mountain Bike Helmet offers both safety and good performance. This mountain bike helmet has a form fit system and in-mold polycarbonate shell construction with EPS liner features. Also, ventilation is not a problem with this helmet’s twelve vents with internal channeling.
Other features of this bike helmet include the adjustable moto-style visor and various helmet sizes. The smallest size is 22-21.75 inches, the medium size is around 21.75-23.25 inches and the large size ranges from 23.25 to 24.75 inches. The mountain helmet is light at 1.5 lbs.
- Good for climbing trails at low speeds
- Good going down trails at high speeds
- Perfect fit
- Wider coverage and head protection
- Good ventilation with its twelve vents
- Comfortable to use
- Durable quality
- With various helmet sizes for wider options
- Straps are not adjustable
- Difficult to clasp and unclasp
- Bigger fitting
- Thin material for straps
- Fit cannot be adjusted
- Thin padding
Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet
When it comes to performance and comfort, you can’t go wrong by choosing the Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet. This helmet is an all-mountain helmet that offers additional protection with the lower coverage at the back area of the head and easy ventilation with its fourteen big bore vents.
Some of this bike helmet’s main features include its Fox Varizorb multi-density impact reduction system for added protection and single-hand dial-actuated retention system for easy fitting. In addition, the quality of the materials used in making this mountain bike helmet cannot be faulted especially since this helmet comes with a premium quality EPS liner and fixed Y-strap anchor system for an improved fit. This bike helmet also has a premium liner with sealed edges and MX-inspired fixed visor.
Another good thing about this helmet is that it comes in different colors. Finally, the helmet is considered to be super lightweight with its weight falling around 1.9 lbs. and its dimensions are 14 x 10 x 8 in.
- Good protection
- Comfortable to use
- Well ventilated with its fourteen vents
- Prevents heat and moisture formation
- Lessens impact during collision
- Can be easily adjusted
- Easy and hassle-free fitting
- Quality material
- Can be a little tight
- Needs to be adjusted for fit
- Bulky and large
Bell Super 2 Mountain Bike Helmet
If you’re looking for a reliable and good performing mountain bike helmet, then you should consider the Bell Super 2 Mountain Bike Helmet. This mountain bike helmet has several nice features such as its in-mold polycarbonate shell and breakaway screws that work well together to give the helmet a durable and sturdy construction.
Also, the helmet has an integrated breakaway camera mount for those who are into recording their trails. In addition, this helmet allows for overbrow ventilation and has a TAG fit system that allows for easy and correct fit and adjustment. Likewise, the mountain bike helmet offers options to its buyers with its different colors. Finally, the mountain bike helmet only weighs 1.7 lbs. and has dimensions of 14 x 10 x 7 inches.
- Convenient to use
- Reasonable purchase price
- A camera can be attached to it
- Can be easily adjusted
- Straps away from chin
- Adjustable visor that can be flipped in and out
- Good protection with additional coverage at the lower back
- Many color options for variation
- Allows for inflow and outflow of air within the helmet
- Can either be too tight or too loose
- Not very good ventilation
- May cause moisture formation
- Too padded on the ear and temple areas
- Straps attached far from the ears
- Visor does not stay in place well
Demon Podium Mountain Bike Helmet
Style, comfort and protection can all be found in a mountain bike helmet such as the Demon Podium Mountain Bike Helmet. This is a full face helmet that uses an EPS foam liner for its inner lining that can be removed as well as washed for easy and convenient maintenance.
This mountain bike helmet has thirteen airflow vents that help ventilate the helmet well. The quality of this helmet is also without question as it is CPSC USA standard certified so you will be able to get full product satisfaction.
Moreover, the exterior of the helmet is made of tough injection molded thermal alloy resin polycarbonate. It can come in either black or white so customers have the option to choose which color they prefer. This mountain bike helmet weighs 2 lbs. 2 oz. and comes with a convenient helmet bag.
- Full face protection
- Comfortable to wear
- Properly ventilated
- Long service life
- No heat and moisture formation
- Good quality materials
- USA CPSC certified
- Comes in black or white
- Easy and hassle-free cleaning
- Removable and washable liner
- Leans on the small size
- Cheap and thin plastic clip
- Only comes in black or white
Team Obsidian Mountain Bike Helmet
When looking for comfort and innovation in a mountain bike helmet, the Team Obsidian Mountain Bike Helmet is a good choice. This helmet has an intelligent oval shaped design with a matte finish in either black or white. It also has innovative features such as an integrated reinforcing ABS skeleton, a new patented adjustment system and a pioneering strap design.
This helmet has twenty-two massive air vents to offer good ventilation and has two sizes – Small (54 cm. to 57 cm.) and Medium/Large (58 cm. to 62 cm.) Also, it also has visors and washable pads. Finally, this helmet offers full customer satisfaction with its CPSC approval, lifetime manufacturer warranty as well as perfect fit guarantee.
- Intelligent design
- Quality materials
- Standard guaranteed with CPSC approval
- Oval shape design
- Has sleek matte finish
- Strong and durable skeleton
- Good ventilation
- Removable and washable pads
- Comes in 2 sizes
- Either white or black finish
- Patented adjustment system
- Comfortable to wear
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Perfect fit guarantee
- Pioneering strap design
- Allows fitting of a ponytail
- Visor can be distracting
- A little bit heavy for a bike helmet
- Complicated strap design for ponytail
- Only 2 sizes available
- Limited colors available