A bike repair stand is a crucial piece of maintenance equipment. Using a repair stand is extremely helpful when working on your bike. It offers a method of securing your bike while you perform maintenance. It also frees up both of your hands because you do not have to worry about your bike losing balance.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Bike Repair Stand
When buying a bike repair stand, there are several factors that you need to take into consideration. Do you want the repair stand to be portable? Does it need to be easy to store, yet strong and tough? How many bikes do you have, and how delicate are they?
Before you choose a bike repair stand, it is best to consider the base design to suit your needs. Features of bike repair stands to keep in mind include:
- The lighter the stand, the more portable it will be. However, it will be less stable and will not tolerate much applied force.
- The heftier the stand, the more stable it will be. The repair stand will be able to tolerate much applied force, but it will be less portable.
- A fixed stand. Fixed stands are usually set up when you need them, but they are not portable, and you cannot hide it away.
- A folding stand. You can easily transport a folding stand, as it is light. It will also save space, but it can be hard to assemble or disassemble based on the design.
- A tripod base. This is versatile, and you can use it both indoors and on unstable ground outside.
- A height-adjustable stand. With this stand, you can customize the stand height to suit you. This will prevent physical discomfort during the bike maintenance session.
- A flat-foot base. You can only use this stand on flat and stable surfaces. This means you cannot use it in situations where there is rough outdoor terrain.
How to Use A Bike Repair Stand?
Using a bike repair stand is quite simple; all you have to do is clamp the seat post or the bike’s frame to the repair stand, then you can start working on your bike. This video demonstrates how to use a Bikehand bike stand (Courtesy of “cyclingdealcomau”):
Types of Bike Repair Stands – Clamp Mechanisms
There are different types of clamp mechanisms that can be found in a bike repair stand. Some of them are:
This is the most conventional type of clamp, and it is very versatile. It is built mainly to apply enough pressure to your bike. This means you can suspend it without having to crush the frame. However, you should be careful as it can also clamp too hard and damage the bike frame.
This clamp will apply greater pressure to your bike frame while keeping the bike secure. This clamping mechanism is considered the next generation of repair stand clamp and provides greater pressure control and flexibility.
With the clamp, you can easily regulate and modify the clamp’s pressure. This type is suitable for most bikes, especially road bikes with delicate frames.
This type of clamp mechanism is built for lifting a bicycle frame without using any clamps. It works by supporting the bottom bracket of the bike while the bike is held securely to fork dropouts or rear dropouts.
It is a perfect bike repair stand for irregularly shaped bikes like some MTBs that cannot fit the standard clamping mechanism. You can also use it for road bikes with delicate or brittle frames.
Featured image: Pexels / Alexander Dummer